Fox News racism scandal

John Gibson compares Attorney-General Eric Holder, an African-American, to a chimpanzee.
Sure, the video is technically, quote-unquote, “fake,” but it still illustrates how racist the Fox News Channel really is. (HuffPo commenter “SouthernYankeeBelle”: “I dunno if it is true or not. However, we know the mentality of the republican party. I could be true. Talk about doctored videos, the Bush administration were good at doctoring videos to get us into this war with Iraq…”)
Damian P.
Update: the Huffington Post has admitted its error and apologized. But some readers keep the faith:

Whether or not the video was doctored or not, I think it is still a major indictment of Fox news that the possibility of the clip being authentic was within the realm of possibility. Many people believed it because of Fox’s tendency to play fast and loose with the truth. And that’s a Fact!!!

26 thoughts on “Fox News racism scandal

1. On-Tory-O says:

“Calling all of fox news racist is over the top damian.”
    I agree. I don’t know if you watch FOX News or not but to brand an entire network racist for a admittedly doctored video (HuffPO just retracted it) is the kind of tactic these liberal chowderheads use to try and discredit conservatives.
    By branding FOX racist, does that make all viewers racist as well? I count myself among one of their most loyal viewers and they have more opposing viewpoints on their news and opinion shows than all other cable news and Canadian news stations combined.

2. Ran says:

“but it still illustrates how racist the Fox News Channel really is.”
    YES. I AGREE. IT IRONICALLY DEMONSTRATES JUST HOW FAKE THOSE CHARGES HAVE BEEN.

3. Keith M says:

“Talk about doctored videos, the Bush administration were good at doctoring videos to get us into this war with Iraq…”)
    Geez Damian, Obama comes to Canada and you loose your marbles.

4. Dr.Dawg says:

“To the morons at HuffPo, tell us, please, why Dr. Martin Luther King was a card-carrying REPUBLICAN.”
    Because the Dixiecrats didn’t exactly welcome him into the fold? God, what colossal ignorance.

5. Dr.Dawg says:

That was probably too subtle for the rube, so here goes:
    That was a half-century ago. This is now. Why do more than 90% of African Americans vote Democrat, and have for years?
    Good grief.

6. Andre says:

Damian,
    I hope you were kidding when you said that Fox was racist. The day you agree with Dr. Dawg is the day I delete your website from my list of favourites.
    I thought you were above all the leftist propaganda about Fox. Sadly, it looks like I was mistaken.

7. Dara says:

I wonder how many pistol duels were instigated over a misunderstanding of punctuation?
    I think Damian was being sarcastic and quoting an over the top post as hyperbole, not accusing Fox of racism.
    Dawg, you’d asked for a reading comprehension filter, maybe Damian does need one.

8. Dr.Dawg says:

I read Damian as being sarcastic as well, for what it’s worth.
    Sorry if I’m the cause of anyone dropping Damian from his or her blogroll. Heaven forbid! Dare I mention that he’s on mine? 🙂

9. Dr.Dawg says:

“Welfare and propoganda.”
    Well, there you go. Not a hint of racism in the Republican Party. Time to dust off my copy of “Barack the Magic Negro.” Hey, you wuz just funnin’. I know that.

10. Bruce Rheinstein says:

“Barack the Magic Negro”
    I think you mean “numinous negro.” A “magic negro” would be a janitor or prisoner (or some other person from a low position) who appears out of the blue to help a white protagonist with his superior wisdom. I don’t think a Senator, who was head of the Harvard Law Review, fits the stereotype.

11. Dr.Dawg says:

Bruce:
    I agree with you, dammit, but I didn’t cut the single.
    Other examples of the trope are Jim in “Huckleberry Finn” and Abigail in Stephen King’s “The Stand.” (King is fond of the concept. See “The Green Mile,” if that sort of thing appeals to you.)
    “Numinous Negro.” Any other examples of this trope? Somehow Al Sharpton doesn’t make the cut.

12. Ran says:

Bruce,
    A prominent “minority” reporter at the LA Times referred to BO as a “Magic Negro”… It was offensively stupid, so, a prominent conservative provocateur made a parody of the racist nonsense in an effort to illustrate absurdity with absurdity.
    It was also a trap: A lot of leftards started jumping up! and down! making, well, leftists of themselves. IFFF they had bothered to show any inquisitiveness, the source of the nonsense was easy enough to determine.
    Naw, too much like work. In the manner of union thugs who demand that someone else cover their benefits and wipe their bottoms, it was good enough to assume that the source had been checked and verified. “Republicans!”
    Right. Well, it has been entertaining – in a sick sort of way – to watch them do the “Republicans! are! Racists!” dance down the hall…
    A few left-leaning TV heads did catch the joke, and it was followed by what I thought was reasoned debate during the season. Apparently, homework isn’t for everyone.

13. Ran says:

“Many people believed it because of Fox’s tendency to play fast and loose with the truth. And that’s a Fact!!!”
    BTW, Damian… methinks your Newf wit has had me, yet again. Right. /sarc tags. Damn. [looks around for glasses.]
    Thing is, I’m related [winces] to HuffPo readers. I should know better.

14. Dr.Dawg says:

And speaking of homework…well, on second thought, no amount of homework will cure the terminally stupid of their stupidity.
    Text derives a lot of its meaning from context. As for example, in this case:
    Of course the CD wasn’t sending up David
    Ehrenstein at all, just seizing a juicy concept and running with it. Otherwise, those of us with intelligence would be having to explain why Rush Limbaugh didn’t introduce his playing of the song as merely a (somewhat laboured) send-up of a “leftist.” Did he simply assume that all of his listeners had done their homework and knew the intent here was to mock Ehrenstein?
    Nope. The ditto-heads aren’t known for their research skills. Or their analytical skills either–as evidenced by the previous post.

15. Ran says:

Damian,
    Here’s something the leftards don’t want you to read: It’s the website of the ‘National Black Republican Association.’
    This, more specifically:
    They’re not exactly shy about settling the score on “Republican Racism.”
    All I have to say to the leftard liars on this subject… “Eat it.”

16. Dr.Dawg says:

Mr. Speaker:
    The member from Limbaugh-Adkisson (R) is getting a mite shrieky, if that isn’t unparliamentary, in which case I shall withdraw it.
    Quotes from a propaganda site set up to reflect the views of less than 5% of African Americans, if that, is simply the old argumentum ad verecundiam. What, all 20 million dittoheads understood that Ehrenstein, not Obama, was the target of the song?
    Pull the other one. But gently, please. It’s been one of those days.

17. Bruce Rheinstein says:

“‘Numinous Negro.’ Any other examples of this trope? Somehow Al Sharpton doesn’t make the cut.”
    Martin Luther King, Jr. is the most obvious example. Jesse Jackson was one in his early years. In fiction, Sidney Poitier in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner and other roles. Morgan Freeman is practically typecast as one.
    I wasn’t aware of the song parody, which sounds like it’s probably more a send-up of Obama’s devoted followers than Obama, but I suppose that “Magic Negro” works better, to Puff the Magic Dragon, than does “Numinous Negro.”
    Anyway, as the NY Post is learning, our latest national “dialogue” on race is neginning to sound a lot like the previous ones – a lot of people being called racists for their impure thoughts.

18. Dr.Dawg says:

We do live in our silos, don’t we? Until your comment, I’d never heard of the trope. I thought you’d made it up (and hence didn’t want to suggest Martin Luther King, because I thought that was ranging into the disrespectful).
    Always something to learn, and this is interesting. There seems to be considerable overlap with the Magic Negro trope, though. Is the only difference one of social status?
    Incidentally, and just for closure on the other matter, I agree with you about the ditty: it was a send-up of Obama’s followers, in questionable taste, but (while edgy) probably doesn’t qualify as racism. And the article that gave rise to it all wasn’t, either.