The H1N1 deniers

Christie Blatchford on those who insist that swine flu is all a big mind-control scam by the pharmaceutical-industrial complex, man:

After a full day spent on Mother Web, trying to figure out why so many Canadians are afraid of the H1N1 vaccine and not planning to get it – as per the online poll conducted by Strategic Counsel for The Globe and published this Monday – my favourite discovery is an innocuous sounding sheet called Vaccination 101.
I found it on the Personocratia site, which features someone named Ghis, who used to be a Quebec doctor before she lost her marbles (and her licence to practise, for life) and took up the principles of Applied Idessic Consciousness.
What sounds at first blush like it might be a rudimentary pro-and-con discussion is in fact a two-page number that describes the vaccines as “biological weapons of mass destruction for targeted populations,” warns they may include microchips to “facilitate mind control at a distance,” and, best of all, “because of their neurotoxic effects,” announces that they “produce psychopaths.”
[…]
And then there is the Health Ranger, a guy named Mike Adams, and his NaturalNews site, also in the Top 10. Mr. Adams quotes the Dalai Lama, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mahatma Gandhi a lot, and his Health Ranger Habits include “no visits to M.D.s or western medical doctors,” no prescription drugs or pharmaceuticals and no “following the … ridiculous food guide” health agencies advocate. He is 35 and to judge by the many self-portraits on the site, a looker, which may be why a half-million people are reading him a month, as he says they are.
Mr. Adams is quoted on another “natural flu prevention” site run by Richard Seah, a “photographic artist, writer, journalist, web designer and teacher of natural health and macrobiotics” who is based in Singapore. He begins from a position of skepticism about what he calls “the germ theory of disease” and appears to believe that H1N1 is man-made.

Via @JohnGushue. I think I’ll stick with “western medical doctors,” thanks.

13 thoughts on “The H1N1 deniers

1. Dara says:

“He begins from a position of skepticism about what he calls “the germ theory of disease”….
    Great starting point. I wonder what he thinks about evolution.
    “and appears to believe that H1N1 is man-made.”
    Something has to be said for the harm reduction practiced by modern day paranoids.
    At least they blame governments and shadowy institutions. Back in the day, before germ theory was discovered, they used to blame individual people, sometimes burning them at the stake.
    This is so much safer since they’re basically defining themselves as ineffectual whiners by exclusively picking targets beyond their reach.

2. Bruce Rheinstein says:

“Back in the day, before germ theory was discovered, they used to blame individual people, sometimes burning them at the stake.”
    Or, in the case of the plague, they just blamed the Jews.

3. Jim Whyte says:

What, I’m agreeing with Dara? Dead right, regardless.
    Interesting how the germ theory is invalid (er, they’re viruses, Richard), but gummints can still somehow genetically engineer organisms to give you pigfluenza.
    I’m getting the shot once the waiting lines shorten. So are all the pigs I know ;o)

4. Joe says:

Having looked at the government hype I have decided to take my chance of getting the flu. I am presently recovering from an illness that by the symptoms may be H2N1 but without testing there is no way to prove it.
    My resentment stems from this uncontrollable urge by government officials to herd the people into this or that almost as a powerplay on their part. All studies show that H1N1 is not as nasty as the seasonal flu yet here Officialdom is trying to force everyone into doing something that is completely unnecessary.
    Had Officialdom been honest by stating the risks of the disease and the risks of the inoculation then made the vaccine available at $5.00 a shot I might be more likely to actually get one. However since their modus operandi is to induce public panic I defy them by calling for a plaque on all their houses.

5. Bruce Rheinstein says:

“I defy them by calling for a plaque on all their houses.”
    You’re the one not taking the vaccine, not them.

6. Blame Crash says:

It seems to me that the whole purpose of Blatchford’s rant was to diss the “Big Bad Web” (AKA : The Competition) How could you people not see that? She very sufficiently summed it all up in her last paragraph.
    Now , as far as the flu shot goes, you can pencil me in as someone who has their doubts about it, and believe it or not, it has nothing to do with anything those corny straw man arguments she presented. I’ve gone my whole life without getting one and it hasn’t hurt me a bit. As a matter of fact, it’s done quite the opposite. And no, I don’t have any hard proof of that, I only have my common sense to inform me that it’s true. But, having said that, I’m going to keep a open mind about it and do some more reading on it from someone other than Blatchford. Who knows, maybe I’ll let em take a jab at me yet!
    But, I do remember when I got some sort of shot that was recommended for anyone who was to have an extended visit to the third world. It worked great for the six months that it was effective, but the next twelve months were a case of one cold after another. I don’t think you have to me a “journalist” to figure out why that happened.

7. Dara says:

“What’s really mysterious, is why some people need to immediately attack other people’s intelligence whenever they don’t tote the line that they believe in. Don’t they see how they undermine their own argument when they do this sort of thing? Could this be a case of them not being as smart as they think they are?”
    It’s unfortunate that life works out this way, but some people have nothing to bring to an argument but stupidity, which doesn’t make it much of an argument at all.
    Some positions, although dearly held, have no intellectual standing and are really just an indication of how far the person holding them is willing to go to avoid learning anything.
    For example, if you’ve gone your entire life doubting evolution but this doubt hasn’t lead you to start reading and picking apart every biology textbook you can get your hands on, then you’re really not interested in the facets of the universe that evolution explains. Instead you’re just interested in holding the position.
    So convincing a person like this of your “side” of science is not only difficult due to the incredible intellectual inertia, but a waste of time. Even if you do convince them of your side, it’s not like they’re going to start seeking out ways to apply their new knowledge. They will simply become an intellectually unmotivated ‘supporter’ of your idea, which is not much better than their original state.
    Still with me Jim?

8. Blame Crash says:

There you go confusing your ideology with truth and reality.
    Do you impress yourself with these false and corny airs that you put on here.
    And yes indeed, this is a confirmed case of not being as smart as you think you are.
    Signed
    Not Jim.

9. Ran says:

Here in Ohio… local Health officials have admitted that ALL flue cases are to be tabulated under H1N1 infections. (Our local radio stations have jumped all over it.) For starters, screenings for the specific organism are expensive – so the default is intended to save time and money. One medico said that while it is dangerous to people who have complicating factors, such as depressed immune systems, “it’s just a flue like most others.”
    The result is that, locally, a lot of people here are treating it like a political campaign.

10. John Thacker says:

The subhed goes a little far when she lumps in people, including well-respected epidemiologists, who believe that flu vaccines aren’t all that effective with the kooks who believe that it will paralyze you or worse.
    The flu vaccine is considerably less effective than other vaccines for a variety of reasons, and there are some good reasons to suspect that its benefit may be quite small and even close to zero, thanks to certain statistical biases in most studies.
    That doesn’t mean it will hurt you, though.